This is a REALLY busy time of year with preparations for Christmas, TCU football games, a couple of weddings to attend, parties, lunches, church activities and making special time to spend with grandchildren. So I only had a few hours on Saturday to start on Part 3 of Quiltville’s Orca Bay Mystery Quilt. Part 3 was released Friday morning with instructions on making 2 inch half square triangles – 350 of them! That is a “whale” of a lot of half square triangles! 😉
So I started with my Easy Angle ruler and chain stitched a bunch.
I measured carefully to make sure they were coming out to the required 2 inch size.
As I was working away, I glanced up at the peg board I have on the wall above my sewing area and there I see these Star Singles:
So I had this brilliant idea that I should use these. After all I had used them for my Ocean Waves quilt, they were quick and easy, and very accurate. So I made 32 blocks using the Star Singles – there are 8 on each foundation paper and I did 4 foundation papers before I cut and pressed them. Then I noticed – they were all 2 1/2 inches – the finished size of the block is 2 inches. They were all a half inch too big! So I spent some time cutting them all down to the correct size. Not such a brilliant idea after all! In all I made 72 blocks before life took over and I had to abandon my sewing room.
It’s a good start and I’m hoping to find more time to work on them this week. And this time, I will use the Easy Angle and not stray to other “quick and easy” methods.
Have a great week, y’all!